Welcome to our blog! Bridgette was born on my due date, January 17, 2011. We are truely blessed!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Due Date

Patrick and I went to bed on 1/16/11 ready to get some sleep. I had been having some contractions all day but they were not very close together. I was desperately trying to send myself into labor. We went shopping at 5 different stores so that I would be up and walking. Then we went to hang out with the Frasco's and Emily made me some raspberry tea in hopes that it would send me into labor. Well I'm not sure if it was the tea but that night I didn't sleep a wink. I was up every 20 minutes starting at 12:00 having contractions and then every 10 minutes from about 2:20 on. At 4:45 I shouted at Patrick that I thought my water had broke. He frantically jumped out of bed and helped me assess the situation. We called the Dr. on call but of course they didn't return our call very quickly. We decided we better go to the hospital to get everything checked out because they hadn't prepared us for what came out of my body (we'll leave it at that). We arrived at the hospital at 5:30 and I was dilated to a 3 and my contractions were 5 minutes apart. Shortly after arriving the dr. on call called my phone and talked to the nurse. They decided that I was in labor and that we would be having a baby that day.

I never would have thought that she would arrive on her due date. But I am a very scheduled person so maybe she will get that trait from me. It worked out perfect in my world! At 8:00 the doctor came in and broke my water. Around 8:30 they started Pitocin because my contractions weren't seeming to progress like they should be. At 9:50 I requested my epidural. Once I had that I was golden!!! Then it was the waiting game. Patrick and I made a lot of phone calls and hung out with him mom and Don. We couldn't believe how quickly all of this was happening. At 2:00ish I told the nurse that I wasn't in pain but that I could feel the contractions. I told her the pump button wasn't helping. She told me to stop hitting the pump and she checked me, I was dilated to a 9 1/2. It was go time! We were just waiting on the doctor to arrive and then we would have a baby. The doctor arrived shortly after 3:00 and 12 minutes and 11 pushes later Bridgette was now in this big scary world and out of the cozy womb!

Patrick was wonderful during the whole labor and delivery. He thought he might not make it through but instead he was all up in my business with the doctor and nurse. He was an amazing support and I don't think it would have gone as quickly if it wasn't for his positive attitude and love. He never left Bridgette's side once she was born. He took a lot of great photos that I won't post and a lot that I will post.

That night was a long night because my epidural had taken stronger to my left leg than my right. I couldn't feel my left leg until about 6:00am. The nurse was wonderful and patient and helped me out of bed every time I needed to get up. Bridgette spent the whole first night in our room with us and I loved watching her sleep and getting to feed her.

The next day we had a lot of visitors and come that night I was exhausted. I sent Bridgette to the nursery and requested some pain meds so that I could sleep. Patrick and I both slept great! Every 4 hours she was brought into the room so that I could feed her and then the nurse would return and take her back to the nursery. We missed her but were thankful for a nights rest before we went home.





No comments:

Post a Comment